Monday, July 03, 2017

Sunday At The Marsh

We finally got out to marsh on Sunday for a nice long walk, and it occurred to me that perhaps I haven't mentioned that there is a lot of construction being done out there all week long. The only time for a quiet walk is on weekends. They're building a bike/hike trail from Arcata to Eureka (7 miles) that goes through the marsh. It's going to take until October to get the marsh part done. So, we wait until quiet Saturdays and Sundays to head out. When we arrived at 2:00 pm the foggy mist was rising off the low tide bay.
Yes, as I mentioned in the previous post it has been foggy overcast gloomy here. This is actually a bright moment! Seriously, it warmed up to 61 degrees. We were HOT out there with our wool sweaters and flannel shirts. The sun made a brief and beautiful appearance.

We did get to watch this Egret for a while as it hunted for food.
It was interesting to watch it scratch at the wet mucky sand, stirring it up and causing the inhabitants to become more apparent for a meal.

We hadn't seen anything like it before. We've watched them hunt, but never noticed an action to encourage a meal to present itself. Pretty smart behavior.

Then we came home and the brief hour of sunlight faded to an expanse of gray white skies that stretched on to forever.

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were outside when the sun peeked from the clouds. Both egret photos are exquisite. That's very interesting about the hunting behavior, flushing out its quarry so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCorax-- So glad you liked these egret photos. It was interesting watching it scratch about like that.

      Delete
  2. Just catching up on reading your blog posts (life has been hectic, stressful, etc…). Your photos remind me of how Arcata always seems to be when I pass through that part of California. I used to think it was just because I was there in late October or early November. There are a couple of parts of Nova Scotia that seem to get more than their fair share of misty or overcast weather. They are where the ocean cloud banks drift inland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bev-- It has been overcast here for a while. I seem to remember there being a few clearer days last year and the year before, but this one is particularly bleak. It doesn't help that my mom's decline continues. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. Oh the beauty of that egret.

    When we lived in the tiny African country, aka paradise, we had egrets walking in the villages like pets, the locals call them Madame Patou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine-- I love thinking about Egrets in Africa. I don't know why it never occurred to me that they would be there. I can't imagine what it must be like to see them walking in villages like pets. Wow!

      Delete
  4. I love the photographs. Everything looks so calm and peaceful. Amazing what you can see birds do when you have some time to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman-- It is peaceful and calm here. It really was interesting to watch this egret in the mucky mud of the bay.

      Delete
  5. So glad the construction is for a bike trail and not a high rise. I love to bike ride and that looks like a marvelous place for a trail. I don't think I have seen that Egret behavior either. Think they are just adapting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti-- It really was new behavior to see. I kept thinking I should video it, but clicked the pics instead. Maybe it was dancing! We're looking forward to the bike trail, and I think the birds will be happy to have all the big equipment gone by fall.

      Delete
  6. We have had some gloomy weather lately. We always hope it means rain, but so far there has been very little up here. Our new "lawn" would appreciate some. The humidity has been very high, but it doesn't seem to translate into precipitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark-- Sure hope you get some rain there, a nice little summer shower to give that grass a chance. We don't get rain in the summer time, but sometimes the fog is low and wet enough to dampen the earth a bit.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you seized the brief moment of brightness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve-- Yes, those brief moments of brightness are truly the best!

      Delete